Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Battle of Lent and Carnival - Peiter Bruegel the Elder

WOW!!!

I just got back from Seattle and spent some quality time doing little to nothing today and enjoyed fathers day! After making dinner, we settled into the most amazing puzzle we have had the pleasure to touch!

This laser cut puzzle from Liberty Puzzles is simply amazing! The pieces feel luxurious to assemble, the  shapes are fascinating and whimsical and the difficulty level is very high! M and I started on it tonight, here are some pics from the first few hours.

This painting was looted by the Nazis from the National Museum in Krakow, shortly after the Nazi invasion of Poland in 1939. It has been missing since. Bruegel painted several very similar versions of this painting, and the version you see here hangs in the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna. The scene depicts the annual three-day festival of Carnival, which precedes Lent. In this typical re-enactment, party-goers and revelers celebrate amidst beggars and cripples on the left side, and pious church goers display mercy and charity on the right. In the center, a fat man representing carnival rides a giant beer barrel to joust with the skinny Lent, dressed in mourning and sitting on an uncomfortable prayer stool.
I was very excited to find a piece that fits within a piece! This can only be done with a laser cutter and I wondered if they would attempt and it and sure enough, they did!

Amazing what you can do with lasers

You can stand wooden puzzle pieces up! M is working hard in the background

Here are all of the object pieces











Here's M and I in this puzzle :-)


Here is an example of one of the things that makes these puzzles difficult. You cannot just assemble the edge... look closely at the cuts

All of the corners are also split making it very hard to find them!





12 comments :

  1. Very unique! I have never seen these before! I will definitely put one in my to do pile. Good job! Glad you had a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cortney, I have not seen anything like it! I am sure some wooden puzzle snobs will say its not the same unless its cut by hand, but I say, they took a classic puzzle and added the right amount of technology to improve it! Check out their website and let me know which one you get!

      Delete
    2. I agree, this puzzle is really unique and amazing looking. What a great find. Did you get it used or new? The uniquely shaped pieces are so cool looking. I'm sure you guys will have a blast putting this one together.

      Delete
  2. That looks like such an awesome puzzle! I love the interesting shapes of the pieces...but I bet it's a huge pain in the ass! Lol, love you guys! Happy Father's Day, Tom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ash! I hope you guys had a good Fathers Day too. It is hard but you know me, I like it hard. I see you started your blog up again. Keep on it and good luck with the Marathon.

      Delete
    2. its new, they are a modern company. There is a link at the top of the page, but here you go; http://www.libertypuzzles.com/shop/detail/id/343

      Delete
    3. They have some really neat stuff. I see they also do custom puzzles. Are you thinking of using them to do the custom ones you wanted?

      Delete
  3. Hi, this is an amazing jigsaw puzzle with wonderful whimsies! I like the wooden jigsaw puzzles with edge-pieces cut into two. They are not too easy to assemble...

    Thanks for your stunning pictures and information. And thanks for the link.

    Kind regards
    Lia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tom, I just found that heart puzzle you guys really like for $21 on Jigsaw Jungle's website. http://www.jigsawjungle.com/numberofpieces10001499pieces-heartthrob-p-2190.html

    I know you just bought a lot of puzzles this week so you might not want to get this one yet, but I think you were saying you were having a hard time finding it.

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny! We will get this one! I think I will have to get it with Bodant Garden to get the 5 shipping! http://www.jigsawjungle.com/manufacturersheye-bodnantgarden-p-42.html

      Delete
    2. Spending an additional $150 to save $20 or so on shipping? LOL That's good justification if I ever saw it. LOL This one wasn't on your "big boy" list that I recall. It must be a newer one.

      I'm still in awe at the number of big boy puzzles that you now have marked as pending...you guys went on a bit of a shopping spree! Did you end up getting that $30 Tropical Impressions one on Craigslist? I don't show that it is marked as pending or yes so I'm guessing maybe they weren't willing to ship it to you.

      Penny

      Delete
    3. They never got back to me so no we didn't get it and yes, we have picked up a few :-) Tower of Babel just arrived today, I am actually writting about it now. Bodnant Garden is on there! If you ever see one that is not, please please please let me know!

      Delete