Tuesday, June 25, 2013

New Puzzle Day! Les Quatre moments de la journée (The four times of day)

Beautiful pieces of the Jeux Nathan puzzle
Les Quatre moments de la journée 

(The four times of day)  - A. Mucha
It's new puzzle day! The first of our big boy shopping spree puzzles has shown up and unlike the Tower of Babel, it was extremely well packaged! M said since it's going to take 18 years to complete the big boy list, she said the puzzles feel are like our children; somedays she loves them, others, she wants to send them to boarding school!

Anyhow, todays arrival is Mucha's Les Quatre moments de la Journée (The four times of day) - 6000pc from Paris based Nathan puzzles. It is our first 6000 piece puzzle and our first puzzle from Nathan. The pieces feel fantastic and have a  non interlocking edges with scalloped and divotted edges. They seem to fit tightly together and be well glued and flat but nothing like an older springbox puzzle (those are insanely tight). The knobs of the puzzle are more round than Ravensburger and should offer a nice change of pace.

Alphonse Mucha was an influential Czech artists in the late 1800's early 1900's with his distinct style 'le style Mucha' becoming synonymous with the style 'Art Nouveau'.

Mucha is considered the father of the current day art poster. He felt everyone's life could be imporved by art and he created a series of mass produced art panels including: The Seasons (1896), The Flowers (1898), The Arts (1898), The Times of the Day (1899), The Precious Stones (1900) and The Moon and the Stars (1902). Mucha said of his series, "I was happy to be involved in an art for the people and not for private drawing rooms. It was inexpensive, accessible to the general public, and it found a home in poor families as well as in more affluent circles."

Mucha went on later to complete his "life's work" the Slav Epic, A series of 20 enormous paintings depicting the life and struggle of the Slavic people. Some of these paintings were up to 26ft long by 20 feet tall and they all are an extraordinary work.

Les Quatre moments de la journée (The four times of day)  - A. Mucha by Jeux Nathan Puzzles (Paris France)

The box is not in perfect shape but I dont buy a puzzle for the box.

Fantastic fitting piece and nice departure from the standard of today where each side of rectangular piece has a knob or receptacle. (Shown top center piece with two receptacles and two scalloped edges. Top left shows a divotted piece and several scalloped pieces are shown throughout). In the lower left, you can see how nicely the pieces fit together.

Links

The Mucha Foundation: http://www.muchafoundation.org/
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphonse_Mucha
Slave Epic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Slav_Epic
Wiki Paintings: http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/alphonse-mucha

4 comments :

  1. Congrats on the new puzzle arriving! Did you guys ever get the 9,000 piece "holy grail" puzzle that you had been searching for and finally got? I haven't seen you post anything about having received it, but I know it's been quite a long time since you purchased it now.

    Anyway, how's Life coming along? Making any further progress on the fish? It felt good to be able to give you guys some encouragement for a change (see comment on latest clownfish post).

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Penny, Alas, the "Wedding Feast at Cana" is currently in St. Thomas but held up in customs. New puzzle day could very well be new three puzzle day! We have another one that according the tracking number is mulling about St. Thomas as well. I am going to head to breakfast (lunch) and see if I cant track them down. I am on the night shift these days, so I have not got any further than I was at 3am on Life. Thanks for the encouragement. I have been scavenging pieces from the Ballons already, but I think in my haste to get done sorting, I really dropped the ball on some pieces somewhere, I have checked the water pieces and that just leaves the animals. I am sure it is going to go fast once I get past the fish. I always work on the hardest parts and let M work on the rest. She doesn't like to puzzle for the challenge like I do, so I have to be careful to keep it fun for her. That being said, last night we talked about donating Life to the hospital and she said that she really wants to keep it, she really loves it.

      Wish my luck! Hopefully I can rescue Paolo Veronese from customs!

      Delete
    2. That would be awesome if it turned into a 3 puzzle day for you guys! LOL Good luck trying to find them.

      I didn't realize that you were keeping the same hours that M is now....I keep waiting for new updates during the day not knowing that you are probably sleeping since you're going to bed so late.

      That makes sense about doing all the hardest parts for M and letting her do the rest. I would probably ask the same thing of Randy if he liked to puzzle like that. I don't really puzzle for the challenge either...I have to love the picture (like I do with Life) to make it worth my time. I had also thought about donating the Life puzzle to a children's hospital or something like that as well, but then I decided I'd rather be selfish and put it up on my own wall so that I can show it off to friends and family. LOL



      Delete
    3. An interesting dialogue is price comment. I feel that it is best to write more on this matter, it may not be a taboo topic however usually individuals are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers. Fleshlight Australia

      Delete