Wednesday, June 19, 2013

New Boombox and Scheherazade

My wife is really the best wife ever! Today, one of my bday presents showed up early. Well actually, it turns out it was sitting in the post office for 15 days and we never got a notice! I was allowed to open it, but I am not allowed to play it! It's a new high-end boombox from TDK!

Despite popular belief, I do love things besides puzzles like; music, sailing, playing pool, scuba diving, snorkeling, astronomy, the game of Go, cooking etc. I shared with M my favorite piece of music last night, Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade. I have one recording of it from the The New York Philharmonic conducted by Leonard Bernstein with John Corigliano as the violin soloist on a Columbia Masterworks pressing.  It simply is classical music like most people have never heard. If you like Brahms, MotzartBeethoven or the Baroque period, you might hate this! I love the Russians of the late 19th early 20th century (Think RachmaninovTchaikovsky, MussorgskyProkofiev or even Mahler but he was german) and this is one of my favorite examples. I added a video below, be sure to give it a listen! This will be the first thing I listen to on the new boombox!


Here is the premise of the story:
The Sultan Schahrier, convinced of the duplicity and infidelity of all women, vows to slay each of his wives after the first night. The Sultana Scheherazade, however, saved her life by the expedient of recounting to the Sultan a succession of tales over a period of a thousand and one nights. Overcome by curiosity  the monarch postponed from day to day the execution of his wife, and ended by renouncing altogether his sanguinary resolution.

Enjoy the music!

-Thomas



My new boombox! Now we can puzzle in style with awash in deep bass and sweet mids and soaring highs! Plus we can take our jams with us! Thanks babe! I love it!


My Hi-Fi (Flanked with puzzles)

Nothing beats the sound of Vinyl! Here I am listening to the fourth movement of Scheherazade: Festival at Baghdad - The Sea - The Ship Goes to Pieces Against a Rock Surmounted by a Bronze Warrior - Conclusion

1 comment :

  1. Well that will be torture to look at your new toy and not be able to play with it. At least you don't have too long to wait until your birthday though.

    The music piece was nice. I'm not a big classical music person...I don't mind listening to it, and find it very relaxing when I do, but I don't seek it out. I'm more of an adult contemporary, pop / rock, and classic rock kind of girl.

    ReplyDelete